Estate Administration NYC (Queens & Brooklyn)

Estate Administration

Probating wills and the Surrogate process alike can be very challenging without the help of a legal professional. If you have recently lost a loved one, you are probably confused about your legal rights and responsibilities in relation to the deceased’s estate. Our law office routinely assists clients in your situation and we are available to discuss your matter during our free consultation.

In New York, the Surrogate’s Court in the county in which the decedent lived has jurisdiction over the estate. There are two types of proceedings which a Queens & NYC probate attorney can bring in New York Surrogate’s Court to handle the estate of a deceased person:

1. Probate (If the decedent had a will)

2. Administration (If the decedent died without a will)

The Estate Administration/Probate Process:

The executor (in a probate proceeding) or a close family member (in an administration proceeding) will typically hire an estate attorney to file a petition with the court. The petition would seek to have the will admitted as the decedent’s last will and testament (in a probate) and would ask the court to appoint someone to collects the decedent’s assets, pay the bills, and distribute the remainder of the estate assets.  In both cases, the decedent’s close family needs to be officially notified of the petition through a citation. They are also given a chance to contest the will, if they so choose. Once the executor/administrator has been appointed, they are the representative of the estate and may undertake all necessary steps to properly carry out their responsibilities of marshaling assets, paying debts, and making distributions. They are entitled to certain statutory payments and may hire professional assistance to carry our their responsibilities, including attorneys and accountants. The law is ever-changing, and it is advisable to speak to an attorney about your particular case.

Call A New York Probate Attorney Now:

If you have lost a loved one and are looking for a professional and experienced NYC probate attorney, please contact our office by calling (347)766-2685 to schedule a free phone consultation.

What Happens If A Parent Did Not Leave A Will?

If your mother or father passed away the spouse will be the automatic heir of all the assets. In the event that the spouse is not living the children will split the inheritance equally. In the event one of the children is deceased then their children would inherit that allotted portion. In a situation like this, many legal intricacies can arise and a lawyer should be contacted

What Is The Cost Of Probating An Estate In Queens?

One should not put themselves in a situation where they would need to embark into the probate process in order to claim and estate. The process is tedious and costly and can be avoided by simply assigning a living trust for the estate. In the event it’s too late you can contact our office and help you understand what a probate proceeding entails and what the different costs can potentially be. The costs will vary from case to case.

Stay Connected With The Law Offices Of Roman Aminov


About Us

Attorney Advertising Disclaimer: The estate planning, probate, elder law or other New York legal information presented on this site should NOT be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Using the advice provided on this site without consulting an lawyer can have disastrous results. Prior results do not guarantee similar outcomes. Please contact a Queens estate planning attorney at one of our law firms located in New York City. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of NY, although we have relationships with attorneys and law firms in states throughout the United States. Free consultation applies to an initial phone consultation.
Law offices Of Roman Aminov